A TEENAGER has died after a single-vehicle crash near Cessnock late on Thursday evening.
Emergency services were called to a private road at Pelaw Main about 11.15pm to find a Subaru Forrester that had struck a barrier.
Police said a 17-year-old youth had suffered critical injuries "after he was thrown from the front passenger seat".
The teenager died at the scene.
IN THE NEWS:
- Lawrie McKinna loaned the club $365,000 to keep it afloat
- Ryan Callinan follows Julian Wilson and Morgan Cibilic to round of 16
- Search for missing man John Barrett continues: Lake Macquarie police appeal for public help
- Coal a hot issue in NSW by-election
- Green hydrogen created at the University of Newcastle used to fuel passenger vehicle
- Mark Richards shares his skin cancer story, as he advocates for skin checks and melanoma awareness
The vehicle's driver, also 17, was taken to the John Hunter Hospital with minor injuries.
The driver has undergone mandatory drug and alcohol testing.
Hunter Valley Police District officers established a crime scene and have begun investigating the circumstances of the fatal crash.
A report will be prepared for the coroner.
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content: