Disgraced former NRL star Jarryd Hayne will appeal his conviction and sentence after being jailed on Thursday for raping a woman in the Hunter.
Meanwhile, police are investigating a violent scuffle involving a group of Hayne supporters outside Newcastle courthouse after the sentencing, as well as an incident where a man verbally abused Hayne's victim and spat towards her as she left court.
Police told the Newcastle Herald on Friday that investigators were "reviewing the vision and inquiries are being conducted".
Related reading: Jarryd Hayne jailed over Newcastle rape
Hayne was sentenced to five years and nine months behind bars, with a non-parole period of three years and eight months.
A Supreme Court spokesperson confirmed on Friday morning that Hayne had lodged a notice of intention to appeal in the NSW Court of Criminal Appeal.
He now has 12 months to lodge his formal appeal.
Given the notice was lodged on March 29, it is understood the intention to appeal covers both the guilty verdict and sentence.
It came after a Sydney District Court jury found him guilty of two counts of sexual intercourse without consent against a 26-year-old on NRL Grand Final night in 2018.
Related reading: Ugly scenes outside court as Hayne jailed
The charges were alternative counts after the jury cleared him of two charges of aggravated sexual intercourse without consent inflicting actual bodily harm.
The first trial, held in Newcastle last year, resulted in a hung jury.
The attack on the woman - in which Hayne used his mouth and finger - took place at a home near Newcastle, after Hayne spent two days at a friend's buck's party.
The woman did not consent to a sexual encounter and the attack left her with bleeding genitals.
Judge Helen Syme on Thursday said Hayne was "fully aware" the woman had not consented to sex.
Judge Syme also criticised Hayne for continually refusing to acknowledge any wrong-doing.
"No other conclusion can be drawn other than the offender knew she did not consent," she said.
Hayne will be first eligible for possible release in January, 2025.
* Then out-of-contract, Hayne was interviewed and charged by Sydney police in November 2018 after a then-26-year-old woman alleged he raped her on her bed in Newcastle seven weeks earlier.
* The 33-year-old faced a jury trial in Newcastle in November and December 2020 after a six-month delay due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
* During an emotionally charged moment, the woman stepped down from the witness box, walked past Hayne in the dock and called him a "f***ing piece of s***". She later apologised.
* She had minutes earlier in cross-examination said questions about her Snapchats to friends before the incident were "just irrelevant" and that "no means f***ing no".
* Having stated they were unable to reach a verdict after two days of deliberations, the jury was discharged.
* A Sydney jury, mostly listening to tapes of the first trial, began hearing the matter on March 8.
* The prosecution argued Hayne had no reasonable grounds for believing the woman would have consented to any sexual activity that evening but felt entitled to it, having missed watching the NRL grand final with his mates to be with her.
* The defence said Hayne obeyed the woman's decision to not have "sex" after she found out he had a taxi waiting outside, but when they later kissed on her bed, she consented to oral and digital sex.
* Hayne was found guilty of two counts of sexual assault, having known or been reckless to the fact the woman was not consenting.
* He was found not guilty of a more serious charge alleging he'd intentionally or recklessly physically harming her at the time.
* Sentenced to five years and nine months in jail. Eligible for release on parole on January 5, 2025.
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content:
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.