FIREFIGHTERS are battling a blaze in Maitland that has caused significant damage to a house.
More than 20 firefighters have been tackling the fire in Reflection Drive at Louth Park since about 9am.
Fire and Rescue NSW said crews arrived to find smoke and flames coming through the roof of the single-storey property.
All residents evacuated safely.
Police and paramedics are on the scene.
Initial investigations indicate the fire may have begun in the solar panels on the home, Fire and Rescue NSW said.
Fire Investigation and Research Unit's Superintendent Graham Kingsland said it was important to ensure solar panels were as safe as possible.
"Over the last five years we have seen solar panel related fires increase five-fold," he said.
"It is not uncommon to see solar panels cause house and building fires.
"By ensuring solar panels are installed by a licensed installer, and are well maintained by a professional, you can prevent a tragedy."
Several Hunter fires in recent months have been linked to solar power, with isolation switches named a common culprit in the rising incidence.