Newcastle Knights officials are taking no chances with the two players they want to build the club's long-term future around - Daniel and Jacob Saifiti.
On their back of their outstanding form this season, the Knights have already kicked off negotiations to re-sign the twin brothers to longer-term deals.
Currently, the pair are under contract until the end of next season but rival clubs are permitted to talk to them about a deal beyond that from November 1.
"No-one will get that chance - they won't be going anywhere else," Knights recruitment boss Clint Zammit told us emphatically.
"I've already had an initial chat to their manager and got the ball rolling on new deals for both of them. I can assure you they are both very much part of our plans going forward and have been factored into our budget long-term."
Right now, Daniel is close to the best prop in the game if he isn't already and on the verge of Kangaroos selection after some great club form and following two outstanding performances in the opening two Origin games.
And while Jacob is yet to break into the representative arena after being hampered by injuries a few seasons back, he has closed the gap considerably on his brother form-wise this year to the point where he has now displaced David Klemmer in the starting side.
Given they are both still only 25, it's not a stretch to think they are yet to reach their peak and will only get better over the next few seasons, particularly given how far they have advanced over the past 18 months.
The biggest thing in the club's favour is neither brother has shown any inclination to want to move elsewhere with Daniel understood to have recently purchased a house in Adamstown Heights.
Spine given keys to the attack
Knights coach Adam O'Brien has largely handed over responsibility of his side's attacking structures to his playmakers as the side looks to take its offence to a new level during the run-in to the finals.
With the spine of Jayden Brailey, Mitchell Pearce and Kalyn Ponga finally being re-united this week and with the addition of Jake Clifford into the mix, O'Brien has given his main ball-players the freedom to play the way they want to play.
"It's been really good that Adz has opened it up to us to put our own prints on it," Pearce told us. "It's only just started but we are working on things we think can really work for us."
We're hearing current Knights players Kurt Mann and Brodie Jones have all but agreed to new two-year deals with the club and Lachlan Fitzgibbon may not be too far behind them when it comes to re-signing.
It's been a busy period for Mann, who added to his family during the bye week off, welcoming new daughter Sidney into the world.
Meanwhile, negotiations continue with the likes of utility star Connor Watson and winger Hymel Hunt.
Hunt, who will play his 100th NRL game tonight against the Cowboys after making his return from injury in the club's win over the Warriors a fortnight ago, is expected to re-sign in the near future but talks with Watson may prove to be a little more drawn out.
The utility star, who has had a strong season after signing a new one-year-deal at the end of last year, wants to stay at the club but may decide to test his value on the open market before making any decisions on his future.
Slow and steady
While a number of other NRL clubs have been very active on the recruitment front, there's been very little news coming out the Knights since they opted not to pursue Matt Lodge from the Broncos. Lodge has since signed with the Warriors.
Two players they have been widely linked with in recent times are South Sydney centre Dane Gagai and Melbourne Storm workhorse Dale Finucane.
There is speculation Gagai's current asking price may torpedo the club's chances of signing him unless he lowers his value while prising Finucane out of Melbourne won't be easy, as was proven a few seasons ago when the Knights made a big play for him but he opted to remain at the Storm.
It has been a battle but we are told coach Blake Green is doing an outstanding job under tough circumstances as the Knights assemble a squad for the NRL Women's competition this season.
The NRL was still waiting late yesterday to finalise negotiations with the NSW government over a venue for Origin III with Newcastle remaining a preferred option and firmly in the mix.
It's a case of catch me if you can with Blues' Origin prop Daniel Saifiti holding a big lead in our player of the year competition after 15 rounds, heading into tonight's clash against the Cowboys. He is 6 points clear of the field with nine games remaining.
Knights v Warriors: 3 Jayden Brailey 2 Mitch Barnett 1 Jake Clifford.
Leader board after Rd 15: 18- Daniel Saifiti. 12- Jayden Bailey, Connor Watson, Mitch Barnett. 10- Kalyn Ponga, Jacob Saifiti 5- Tyson Frizell, Bradman Best, 4- Brodie Jones. 3- Kurt Mann. 1- David Klemmer, Jesse Sue, Phoenix Crossland, Josh King, Jake Clifford.
IN THE NEWS:
- NSW COVID-19 cases: Gladys Berejiklian calls 31 infections 'concerning'
- Scott Morrison lays out COVID-19 four-phase plan after national cabinet
- John Barilaro says NSW Nationals ready to 'fight' Liberals over Newcastle port container terminal
- Newcastle triathlete Aaron Royle selected for second Olympic Games
- Bayswater fly ash slurry leak sparks NSW EPA fine for AGL Macquarie
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content: