NSW Health has rejected an application for an exemption for a Central Coast-based player to play in the Valentine under-14 team.
However, Northern NSW Football chief executive David Eland confirmed that an exemption had been approved for at least one Central Coast player to play in a Newcastle premier league competition.
The Newcastle Heraldreported on Thursday that Central Coast resident Theo Vlandis had applied for an exemption for his son Paul to rejoin his Valentine team.
Paul is among about 150 Central Coast-based football players who play in Newcastle premier leagues but have had their season put on hold.
About half the season had been played when the Central Coast went into lockdown, as part of Greater Sydney.
Mr Vlandis said he was disappointed that NSW Health had rejected his application.
"If one player is allowed an exemption, surely others should be allowed," he said.
"We told them we were prepared to get tested for COVID once every three days.
"I still believe they should let the players play in a COVID-safe way. If the Central Coast does get any community transmission, they could ban us again."
Mr Vlandis said there was a silver lining because former Central Coast Mariners star Josh Rose had offered to train Paul in one-on-one sessions.
Mr Rose has also been affected by the lockdown. As he lives on the Central Coast, he cannot play for his team Edgeworth in Newcastle's top competition.
In an email to Mr Vlandis explaining its decision, NSW Health said: "This is a necessary action to protect all people of NSW, including those who would be at grave risk should they contract COVID-19".
"We appreciate this is a difficult time for the community, but these are extraordinary times and protecting the health of the community is our absolute priority."
NSW Health's exemption process states that: "Any request for exemption will be carefully considered on a case-by-case basis".