THE NSW Department of Education has not yet submitted to Treasury the business case for the Newcastle Education Campus, which it had said would be put forward mid-year.
Newcastle MP Tim Crakanthorp said the "business case has had more deadlines than I've had hot dinners".
"It's been over three years since this project was announced and all we've got to show for it is a new name in order to justify a downgrade from what was promised," he said.
- Budget funding lands for Newcastle Education Campus, Muswellbrook South Public School, Hunter River High and Irrawang High
- New primary school may be 'inserted' into Newcastle Education Precinct in future
- Your Right to Know: 'Limited justification' for new Newcastle primary school, state government report finds
- Upgrade Newcastle schools instead of building new one: government report
- School's out: government's secret decision on Newcastle Education Precinct revealed
- Government loses bid to keep Newcastle Education Precinct documents confidential
"The longer this business case drags out, the less well it bodes for the final result. The government can try and go quiet on this, but we won't forget what we were promised."
A spokesperson for the department told the Newcastle Herald it did not have an update about the controversial project - which it renamed from the Newcastle Education Precinct - since last month, when it said $5.6 million had been allocated to "progress work on schematic design and statutory planning approvals" and that details on the masterplan and scope would be shared after it received relevant approvals.
The spokesperson said last Friday the business case had not been submitted. "It is expected to be submitted to Treasury later this year."
The project was announced in June 2018 as including an upgrade to Newcastle High and a new primary school.
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content: