An elderly man and woman have been taken to hospital in a critical condition following a single-vehicle crash in the Hunter.
Emergency crews were called to Wine Country Drive at North Rothbury - about 19km north of Cessnock - about 10.30pm on Monday following reports a Toyota Corolla had left the road and rolled.
The male driver and female passenger - both aged 94 - were trapped in the vehicle, before being freed a short time later.
The pair were taken to John Hunter Hospital with critical injuries.
Officers from Hunter Valley Police District, with assistance from the Crash Investigation Unit, established a crime scene and commenced an investigation into the circumstances surrounding the crash.
As inquires continue, anyone with information, or dashcam footage from the area, is urged to come forward.
Anyone with information can contact Cessnock Police Station or Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.
IN THE NEWS:
- Hunter residents flock to hairdressers, gyms, cafes, shops as restrictions lift for fully vaccinated
- Hunter records 82 new COVID cases
- Easing your way back into the gym after lockdown
- Body modifier said he had no qualification
- Phillip O'Neill: Why the post-coal Hunter will have more to offer
- Barnett among Knights players forced to have surgery
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content: