HUNTER domestic violence services have welcomed a record funding boost for the sector, but are still waiting for more detail about where the money will be injected.
Premier Dominic Perrottet announced on Tuesday an additional $484.3 million over four years to help women and children fleeing violence.
This comprises $426.6 million to expand the Core and Cluster program to deliver around 75 extra refuges.
Under the model, self-contained accommodation is located next to a 'core' that provides services including counselling, legal assistance, education and employment support.
IN THE NEWS:
- Singleton pub licensee charged after COVID fines
- Excessive self-defence claimed in Boxing Day backyard stabbing trial
- Hunter COVID numbers hit a new low
- Lord mayoral challengers oppose Supercars in East End
- Pelican hits new heights with waterfront sale
- Back In Business: how COVID picnics helped a Newcastle caterer think outside the box
It also includes $52.5 million for the Community Housing Innovation Fund to provide around 200 dwellings.
Another $5.2 million will fund a trial in two sites - one in regional NSW - to support accompanied children and young people impacted by violence who are experiencing or at risk of homelessness.
A spokesperson for Minister for Prevention of Domestic and Sexual Violence Mark Speakman said the government would consult with the sector to make sure the new housing sites and services were being delivered in areas with the greatest need.
Carrie's Place chief executive officer Jayne Clowes said the state was in a "housing crisis" and needed more affordable accommodation.
"It was great news but providers are anxious to get the details behind it," she said.
"We had clients ringing up and asking us where the refuges are going to be, 'sign me up', that's the crisis at the moment, especially when our clients are on average completing 200 to 300 rental applications in the private market."
She said the service had a refuge, properties with intensive support, temporary accommodation and transitional accommodation but this pipeline was "blocked" because families couldn't secure affordable long-term housing.
Ms Clowes said Carrie's Place experienced a "wave of increased referrals" after the last lockdown and was expecting another.
Already, she said, the number of referrals has increased by 30 per cent over the past six weeks.
She said the organisation was also providing 10 per cent more services than this time last year on the same funding.
"Ideally what we would love is to have another refuge in the Cessnock area, because that's quite high on our referrals."
Jenny's Place executive manager Marcia Chapman said her service placed 103 women and 109 children in crisis shelters and transitional housing in the last financial year, down from 301 women and 251 children the year before.
"This was the impact of not having suitable accommodation for our clients to access when they were due to leave emergency accommodation.
"In 2020-21, we were unable to provide emergency accommodation assistance to 575 women who sought our help."
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content: