Nine more containers from the ill-fated YM Efficiency have until now been located off the Hunter coastline.
A remotely operated underwater vehicle operating from Newcastle made the discovery during an on-going search of the sea floor last week.
The Australian Maritime Safety Authority is assessing imagery of the containers, which appear mostly intact, to determine if they can be recovered.
The operations will continue over the coming weeks as weather conditions permit, the authority said.
The Australian Maritime Safety Authority signed a contract with Subsea late last year to search for the lost containers from the Liberian-flagged vessel.
Three containers were found in early December in an area 32km east of Redhead.
The latest group of containers were found nearby.
The discovery comes more than six months after the ship lost 81 containers off the coast of Newcastle in heavy seas on June 1.
A survey of the area soon after the incident located approximately 37 containers, while 42 were considered missing.
The Australian Maritime Safety Authority will be seeking to recover all costs associated with the search and any recovery operations from the Taiwanese shipowner Yang Ming.
Thousands of tonnes of rubbish and two shipping containers washed ashore along the NSW coast after the incident, requiring a multi-government agency and volunteer clean-up operation.
Container debris from the ship dispersed as far as Sydney and Brisbane with more than 942 cubic metres of debris collected between Stockton Beach and Coffs Harbour.
Dozens of yoga mats were among the items washed ashore at Port Stephens.
Both the Australian Maritime Safety Authority and the Professional Fishermen’s Association criticised Yang Ming for a lack of action to remove the containers from the sea.
Yang Ming’s Australian insurance representatives said in November the company believed the location of all the missing containers had been pinpointed through sonar surveys.
However, its failure to progress search and possible removal operations prompted AMSA to announce it would begin its own underwater assessment.
Subsea’s remotely operated underwater vehicle search is expected to continue over the coming weeks subject to weather conditions.
An ocean debris tracking and predicting model created by researchers from the University of NSW and the Jerusalem College of Technology suggested that much of debris remained near where it was lost overboard.