High-profile barrister Robert Richter QC has questioned his objectivity in the ongoing defence case for George Pell, but he has not quit the legal team ahead of an appeal bid.
Mr Richter has represented the Pell since mid-2017 when the cardinal returned to Australia to face a string of child sexual abuse charges but will net lead his appeal.
Pell is in custody, having been convicted in December of sexually abusing two 13-year-old choirboys at St Patrick's Cathedral in East Melbourne in 1996.
"I have not quit. I do not quit," Mr Richter told AAP on Tuesday, following reports he had claimed to be too emotionally involved in the case and angry at the jury's "perverse" verdict after the cardinal was found guilty of five charges.
The Age reported Mr Richter felt he did not have "sufficient objectivity at this stage" to be involved in a Court of Appeal challenge to Pell's conviction.
Australia's most senior Catholic maintains his innocence.
Pell's solicitor Paul Galbally said it was rare for Mr Richter, and many trial counsel, to continue to an appeal.
"In these particular circumstances, Richter questions whether he has sufficient objectivity at this stage to take the appeal forward himself," Mr Galbally said.
"As Cardinal Pell is well aware, Richter is still very much part of the legal team and will be involved right through to the end."
Sydney barrister Bret Walker SC was announced last week to lead the case through the appeal process, with Mr Richter, junior counsel Ruth Shann and Mr Galbally all to remain part of the defence team.
The matter has been filed in the Court of Appeal and will be pursued after Pell is sentenced by County Court Judge Peter Kidd on March 13.
There could be more legal battles ahead too, with two civil cases against Pell and others flagged since his conviction was made public last week following the lifting of a suppression order.
The father of one of the boys abused by Pell in 1996 has indicated his intention to sue.
His son died in 2014, a year before his parents became aware of the abuse, but after a long battle with heroin that started within a year of the molestation.
"He went from being this lovely boy," the father told ABC's Four Corners.
"His schoolwork, I noticed that it started slipping. His whole attitude changed. His whole being just, he was a different boy."
Lawyers for another man who alleged Pell molested him at a St Joseph's Boys' Home pool in Ballarat in the mid-1970s are expecting to file a suit in the Victoria's Supreme Court later this week against Pell, the Catholic Archdiocese of Melbourne and others.
Prosecutors dropped the case against Pell in relation to that man's allegations late last year, and dropped all final charges against Pell last week, citing a lack of evidence.
Pell denies all allegations of abuse.
Australian Associated Press