A group of Newcastle East residents has written to the NSW government about Supercars safety concerns after race car debris narrowly missed injuring spectators at the Gold Coast 600.
Series leader Scott McLaughlin's Mustang hit a concrete barrier on Sunday, sending a shock absorber flying on to a hotel balcony.
The crash flipped the car on its side and dislodged one of its wheels.
Spectators Andrew Bing and Andrew Went posted on social media images of the shock absorber and a table they say it broke on their balcony.
In a reply to questions, Supercars sent the Newcastle Herald a statement from a Confederation of Australian Motor Sport spokesperson that both bodies were investigating "all circumstances around the incident".
"This unique incident involved significant forces, and we are thankful that neither the driver nor any spectators were injured," the statement said. "Every incident that poses a potential risk to participants is reviewed and considered for further safety improvements, if required."
Gold Coast race winner Shane van Gisbergen was surprised that the shock absorber had left the track after the 140 km/h crash.
"That's pretty rare. Normally everything is safe and the wheels are tethered," he said.
But Newcastle East Residents Group, which has fought a long and bitter campaign against the Newcastle race's location, questioned whether the accident was "unique".
They pointed to an incident at the first Newcastle 500 in 2017 when two spectators were injured by a dislodged tyre and images of a young boy walking off with a large section of dislodged mudflap last year.
NERG said in its letter to Acting Sports Minister Geoff Lee and Tourism Minister Stuart Ayres that it rejected an investigation by CAMS and Supercars into the Gold Coast crash as inadequate.
"Newcastle East residents, living less than 5 metres from the Supercars' Newcastle 500 circuit, do not believe an investigation by these two bodies will be sufficient to protect them from flying debris should a similar accident happen during the Newcastle 500 this November," they wrote.
"While it is true that all street circuits must be approved by the Confederation of Australian Motorsport, they do not necessarily comply with the CAMS Track Operators' Safety Guide because ... many of the CAMS guidelines are not mandatory for temporary circuits. Without a verge, there is greater danger of debris flying over the safety fences, at speed."
The letter calls on Supercars to raise the height of the circuit's safety fencing and pay for the "evacuation" of residents who decide it is unsafe to stay at home.
While you're with us, did you know the Newcastle Herald offers breaking news alerts, daily email newsletters and more? Keep up to date with all the local news - sign up here.
IN THE NEWS
- Halloween hits the Hunter: The Hunter haunted house out to give even the grown-ups nightmares
- Cormac Patrick Rothsey, who police say planned mass casualty attack at mosque, will apply for bail again
- Unwanted Knights hooker Danny Levi among the potential targets for Manly following Manase Fainu's arrest
- Transport for NSW confirms Singleton will receive two extra daily return train to Newcastle
- Daniel Paul Bell found not guilty of attempted murder over Muswellbrook shooting