Two fires burning near Wine Country Drive at north Rothbury have been downgraded to Advice after firefighters gained an advantage over the blaze that had threatened homes on Tuesday.
The fire burning at North Rothbury was downgraded around 5.30pm. A second at Cottle Road at North Rothbuy was downgraded around 5pm.
Residents in the Greta area had been told earlier on Tuesday that they were at risk.
A fire still burning at Harper Street in Greta has been listed as Watch and Act.
A fast-moving fire had swept through North Rothbury earlier on Tuesday, prompting an emergency warning around 3pm.
Water-bombing aircraft are in the area to battle the blaze.
Hunter Valley Police District confirmed evacuations were underway at Olivia Place and Rothbury Street shortly before 3pm.
Road were closed for some time, but have since re-opened around Greta, with the exception of the New England Highway between Range Road and the Golden Highway, which remains closed.
Bushfire advice from NSW RFS
What you need to do
- If you are threatened by fire, you may not get assistance.
- If you are in these areas and your plan is to leave, or your property is not prepared, leave towards a safer location.
- Safer locations include built up areas, well away from bushland.
- If you are unable to leave, identify a safer location which may be nearby. This may include a cleared area well away from bushland, or an identified Neighbourhood Safer Place www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/nsp
- Avoid bushland areas.
- A southerly change is forecast early on Wednesday morning. This may push the fire in a northerly direction.
If you are threatened by fire
- Do not be in the path of the fire.
- Protect yourself from the heat of the fire. Wear protective clothing and footwear. Cover all exposed skin.
- If the fire impacts, seek shelter in a solid structure to protect yourself from the heat of the fire.
- If your life is at risk, call Triple Zero.
While you're with us, did you know the Newcastle Herald offers breaking news alerts, daily email newsletters and more? Keep up to date with all the local news - sign up here.
IN THE NEWS