A SERIAL child sex offender, described as an "unacceptable risk to the safety of the community" if released from jail unsupervised, has been bailed to live with his parents in Newcastle.
After four years in a prison cell for his latest offences, Bradley Moore, 58, was due to be released from jail on Monday.
The Crown Solicitors Office NSW told the Sydney Supreme Court late last month that Moore was a high-risk offender who posed an unacceptable risk to the community and sought orders for extended supervision on his release.
The court heard Moore - who has a history of offending dating back 30 years - was classed as a "moderate-high risk" to re-offend by a prison psychologist and "well above average risk" of committing another sex offence by another psychologist.
In her judgement last week, Justice Helen Wilson said a 2019 report done to assess Moore for parole found he did not accept responsibility for his offences.
"There is some evidence that the defendant did not undertake a sex offenders' program until forced to by the denial of parole, because he refused to accept that he needed treatment of that nature," she said.
"Although he consented to undertake such a program soon after he was sentenced in 2016, he insisted that it was not necessary."
Moore was convicted in 1988 of indecently assaulting three brothers aged 11, 13 and 14.
In 1999, Moore was found not guilty of rape and gross indecency, the charges involved two boys.
After a complaint was made in 2015 that Moore was contacting young boys online, police used a fictitious 14-year-old boy to communicate with him.
Over ten weeks Moore engaged in explicit sexual conversations with the fictitious 14 year old and sent him a pre-paid mobile phone, telling the boy that "we will have to be a secret, you are under age".
Moore then arranged to meet the fictitious boy for sex and was arrested.
When police raided Moore's parents' house in Newcastle, where he was living at the time, they found thousands of child pornography images.
While on bail for these offences, Moore approached a group of boys at a shopping centre and handed out his card, offering the boys cash in exchange for their phone numbers.
One boy took the money and Moore met him several times giving him Nike shoes, alcohol and jewellery.
Police later found explicit text messages Moore had sent to the boy.
Justice Wilson imposed an interim supervision order on Moore and ordered he be assessed by a psychologist and psychiatrist before a final hearing to determine the level of supervision he requires in the community.
While you're with us, did you know the Newcastle Herald offers breaking news alerts, daily email newsletters and more? Keep up to date with all the local news - sign up here
IN THE NEWS:
- NSW Liberal Catherine Cusack blasts state Nationals leader John Barilaro over koala protection policy
- Man arrested in the Hunter with 1kg of cocaine allegedly in his shorts
- AMWU report identifies the Hunter as an ideal renewable energy manufacturing hub
- Three Anglican Diocese of Newcastle boards dissolved into one under radical restructure to ease financial strain
- Newcatsle Knights prop David Klemmer writes: 'We're in the finals - now we must make it count'