POLICE are conducting a canvas near Cessnock after two men were stabbed in the early hours of Friday.
Emergency services were called to Cliftleigh about 1.50am after reports two men were fighting and had been stabbed.
When officers arrived at a Shalistan Street property they found a man in his 20s with stab wounds to the chest and head.
- Read an update of this story here.
Paramedics treated him at the scene before taking him to the John Hunter Hospital.
Police said he remained in a stable condition, and that they were told a second man left the scene before they arrived.
Investigators were notified a short time later when the 27-year-old man attended Maitland hospital suffering stab wounds to the chest and neck.
He was taken to the John Hunter Hospital. Police said he is reported to be in a critical condition.
Hunter Valley police established a crime scene and are investigating the circumstances.
They are speaking to residents in the area, which lies about 20 kilometres from Cesnock, and ask that anyone with information come forward.
Anyone with information is urged to call Crime Stoppers 1800 333 000 or to share it with investigator confidentially via https://nsw.crimestoppers.com.au.
IN THE NEWS:
- Luke Jones found guilty of murder over brutal home invasion stabbing of Philip Steele
- Prime Minister Scott Morrison says he doesn't support the PEP 11 gas exploration licence off Hunter coast
- Scott Morrison backs the Newcastle Container Terminal but won't intervene in Federal Court case
- Mangoola expansion: Glencore plan's opponents call for a break in the coal
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content: