KNIGHTS prop David Klemmer is still considered a front-line contender for Australia's end-of-season Tests despite being overlooked for the Prime Minister's XIII to tackle against Fiji in in Suva on October 11.
There were fears Klemmer had aggravated a fractured wrist he suffered in Origin I in Newcastle's season-ending 54-10 hammering from Penrith, but scans cleared him of serious damage.
It's understood Kangaroos coach Mal Meninga did not want to risk a recurrence by choosing Klemmer in the PM's XII named on Monday.
He is nonetheless likely to partner Canberra's Josh Papalii up front in the clash with New Zealand at WIN Stadium on October 25.
Brisbane tyro Payne Haas also appears to be in the mix after being named as a starting prop for the PM's XIII.
Another Test is scheduled against Tonga for November 25 in Auckland, but it appears in doubt because of the planned boycott by Tongan players.
In addition to the Tests, the inaugural World Cup Nines will be contested on October 18-19 and Newcastle dynamo Kalyn Ponga is considered a certain starter in Meninga's squad.
PM's XIII: Clint Gutherson, Kyle Feldt, Paul Momirovski, Brad Parker, Blake Ferguson, Cody Walker, Mitchell Moses, Paul Vaughan, Ben Hunt, Payne Haas, Wade Graham (capt), Tyson Frizell Jake Trbojevic. Bench: Jai Arrow, Reuben Garrick, David Fifita, Reed Mahoney, Nathan Brown, Thomas Flegler.
While you're with us, did you know the Newcastle Herald offers breaking news alerts, daily email newsletters and more? Keep up to date with all the local news - sign up here.
IN THE NEWS:
- Merewether's Beach Hotel has been listed for sale
- Singleton and Dungog farmers and representatives question Drought Communities Programme eligibility after audit announced
- Government used wrong data to award $1m in drought relief to waterlogged shire
- Minister pledges to fast track City of Newcastle funding applications for Stockton
- Editorial: Newcastle lockout laws become uncertain with new NSW Parliamentary committee report
- BHP 20 years on: Anniversary day ceremony at steelworks Muster Point