Newcastle Rugby League chief executive officer Matt Harris said officials would continue to monitor the coronavirus situation and await guidance from governing bodies before making any final decisions about this weekend's All Stars event and the 2020 season.
Possible scenarios include playing matches without crowds, similar to the next round of NRL, postponing games or considering whether this season goes ahead.
Harris said he expected to communicate with NSW Rugby League in the coming days to discuss the issue.
"There's nothing official as yet from NSWRL," Harris said.
Late last week Prime Minister Scott Morrison advised against all non-essential gatherings of more than 500 people, starting on Monday.
There have been more measures, including a 14-day self-isolation period for anyone entering Australia, announced over the weekend.
"It's been a big 72 hours," Harris said.
The Newcastle RL All Stars and the Newcastle RL Indigenous All Stars are scheduled to play an annual pre-season fixture at St John Oval on Saturday.
"There's a possibility we will have to cancel or postpone the All Stars game or not let anyone through the gate," Harris said.
Clubs also have trial matches set down for the coming weeks. Round one kicks off April 18.
"We will deal with All Stars first and then look ahead to the rest of the season, which is five weeks away," he said.
SIGN UP TODAY: For the best coverage of sport in Newcastle and the Hunter, subscribe for unlimited digital access
- Serving Catholic priest in tears over 1971 letter revealed during landmark compensation case
- Under The Southern Stars rock festival called off due to global health pandemic
- Coronavirus: How you can help stop the spread of COVID-19
- Port of Newcastle withdraws cruise ship volunteers for rest of 2019/20 season
- Toohey's News, The Podcast Episode 01: Michael Hagan
- Newcastle courts: Predator Brett Hill appeal date set for July, 2020, as lawyers argue for maximum sentence