Newcastle Rugby League officials will meet on Wednesday to discuss recommendations put forward by the state governing body about season 2020 having already opted to postpone this weekend's All Stars event.
The upcoming campaign, which is due to kick-off April 18, may take on a different complexion if indeed it goes ahead as scheduled because of concerns about coronavirus but Newcastle RL chief executive officer Matt Harris said no decisions would be rushed into.
NSW Rugby League are due to gather in Sydney on Tuesday with all of the state's senior and junior competitions on the agenda.
"We've pushed our [Newcastle RL] regular board meeting back until Wednesday to discuss and dissect what information we get back from NSWRL," Harris said.
"We'll look at the best-case scenarios and the worst-case scenarios ... fortunately we have a month up our sleeve."
In the meantime, Newcastle RL announced on Monday that this year's All Stars event would be put on hold following the Australian government's advice to ban non-essential gatherings of more than 500 people.
"The decision was really taken out of our hands," Harris said.
"I think the clubs and players understand."
The annual pre-season fixtures, which started in 2017 and features the Newcastle RL All Stars playing against the Newcastle RL Indigenous All Stars, had been set down for St John Oval on Saturday.
We have removed our paywall from our stories about the coronavirus. This is a rapidly changing situation and we need to make sure our readers are as informed as possible. To support local journalism, subscribe here.
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.