City of Newcastle has closed the Mall car park to carry out a structural engineering assessment of a "potential issue".
The council said the 59-year-old multi-storey car park in King Street was operating at less than 20 per cent capacity due to the "escalating impact of COVID-19".
The car park is near major demolition and construction work on Iris' large East End residential project.
The council has not said how long the car park will remain closed.
It said it would contact permanent car park customers to advise them of the closure.
- The frightening numbers behind the Hunter's coronavirus crisis
- Employee of store in Charlestown Square tests positive for COVID-19
- Free guide to Hunter businesses open during the COVID-19 crisis
- 20 new COVID-19 cases diagnosed in Hunter New England
- Newcastle expats tell us about the moment they realised the world had changed
- Medowie Christian School learning from home program offers face to face contact
- Floraville Public celebrates school spirit with unique delivery to kindergarten