Police are investigating the suspicious death of a baby in the Hunter after a seven-month-old boy was taken to hospital unresponsive on Sunday.
Police say the child was taken to Muswellbrook Hospital just after 3pm in an "unresponsive state".
Despite efforts made by hospital staff, the baby could not be revived.
Officers from Hunter Valley Police District were notified and commenced an investigation.
A crime scene was established at a home in the Hunter region and examined by specialist forensic officers.
A post-mortem examination will be conducted to establish the cause of death, which Police say is being treated as suspicious.
Anyone with information about this incident has been urged to contact CrimeStoppers on 1800 333 000 or via their online reporting page.
While you're with us, did you know the Newcastle Herald offers breaking news alerts, daily email newsletters and more? Keep up to date with all the local news - sign up here
IN NEWS TODAY
- OPINION: Cancellation is a 'super' result for East End
- One death, one new case as NSW announces sweeping rules for public transport
- Flu shots falling short due to higher demand
- We'll be back: Supercars boss vows Newcastle 500 will return in 2021
- The terrifying unknowns of the coronavirus
- Toohey's News, The Podcast: Robbie O'Davis