A Central Coast father and son accused of stabbing a 78-year-old man and his son during a harrowing home invasion at Hawks Nest last month have been refused bail in Gosford Local Court.
Mark Edward Burkett, 46, and Kyle Mark Burkett, 22, were arrested at a unit in Sinclair Street at Gosford about 11am on Thursday, a month after three men forced their way into a home in Booner Street, Hawks Nest, stabbing the 78-year-old man who opened the front door, pushing past him and then heading upstairs where they assaulted and repeatedly stabbed his 53-year-old son.
While attempting to flee his attackers, the 53-year-old man was stabbed in the back, police have said.
He continued to run from the men and was stabbed another seven times in the back and neck.
The intruders stole a purse and car keys from a woman and fled on foot.
The two injured men were taken to hospital where they were treated and later discharged.
Port Stephens-Hunter detectives launched an investigation and after extensive inquiries arrested Mark Burkett and his son Kyle Burkett at a home at Gosford on Thursday.
A search of the home allegedly revealed numerous knives, a homemade shiv, a machete, a homemade shotgun with ammunition and a quantity of drugs.
IN OTHER NEWS:
The two men were taken to Gosford police station where Mark Burkett was charged with two counts of specially aggravated enter dwelling with intent, two counts of intimidation, two counts of breaching an apprehended violence order and breaching his bail.
Kyle Burkett was charged with two counts of specially aggravated enter dwelling with intent, firearm offences and drug possession in relation to the homemade single-barrel shotgun and small quantities of cannabis and methamphetamine.
The pair appeared in Gosford Local Court in handcuffs on Friday but did not enter a plea or apply for bail.
The matters were adjourned to Newcastle Local Court on September 23.
Mark Burkett also had his bail revoked in relation to a number of unrelated domestic violence matters. Those matters were adjourned to Gosford Local Court on August 11.
Investigations are continuing and police are still looking for the third man involved.
In the wake of the home invasion, Port Stephens-Hunter police commander Superintendent Chad Gillies had said there were two females inside the house at the time, one of whom "left of her own accord" with the three attackers. Superintendent Gillies had said detectives were keen to speak to the woman as part of their investigation.
While you're with us, did you know the Newcastle Herald offers breaking news alerts, daily email newsletters and more? Keep up to date with all the local news - sign up here