Souths coach Glenn Bisson has praised his players for digging deep to defeat Hunter Coast Premier Hockey League rivals Norths on Sunday.
Lions pair Ben Hanlan and Seb Rollings scored at either end of the third quarter as part of a 2-1 win over the Blues at Newcastle International Hockey Centre.
NSW Pride representative Ky Willott halved the margin for Norths in the final term.
"I think we showed a lot of determination and really had to dig deep," Bisson said.
The other third-round match between University and Gosford was postponed with the Students raising coronavirus concerns about Sydney-based players in the Magpies squad. Wests had the bye.
Next up Souths are due to host Gosford and Norths meet Wests. Uni has the bye.
In the Newcastle District Women's Hockey Association premier league on Saturday and it was the same 2-1 scoreline recorded by Oxfords and Gosford in wins over Tigers and Regals respectively while Central easily accounted for Univeristy 5-0.
While you're with us, did you know the Newcastle Herald offers breaking news alerts, daily email newsletters and more? Keep up to date with all the local news - sign up here
IN OTHER NEWS
- Toohey's News Podcast: The inaugural Knights captain and Kiwi international Sam Stewart
- A-League: McKinna optimistic despite stalled talks with Sydney businessman
- Netball: Last year's finalists record championships wins as Newcastle netball returns
- Rugby Union: Wildfires taught lesson by slick Students in Shute Shield
- Basketball: Hunters hang tight to deny visiting Bankstown by six points