Okay, so just to finally, once and for all, forever and a day, put it to bed - Kieran Foran will not be at the Knights next season.
The Sydney media can continue to throw Newcastle into the mix as a possible destination every time Foran's playing future is tossed up and fans can keep debating the pros and cons until the cows come home. But there is zero chance of it happening.
Aside from his price tag, the Knights biggest issue with Foran is his injury history. The club has been burned in the recent past after signing the likes of injury-plagued Tautau Moga and Slade Griffin and Foran has averaged just 13 games a season for the past four years.
Knights recruitment boss Alex McKinnon said weeks ago Foran wasn't even on the radar. CEO Phil Gardner confirmed it again this week.
But that's not to say the club isn't looking to recruit another playmaker for 2021 if the right player was to become available, as well as an additional prop.
Youngsters Tex Hoy and Phoenix Crossland remain priorities and another full pre-season under coach Adam O'Brien might be all that's needed to have them both ready to challenge for a fulltime gig alongside Mitchell Pearce next season.
But there is still room under the cap and in the roster for another signing in that position, albeit not someone with a marquee price-tag.
Kurt Mann is obviously another option but there is a feeling now, given Blake Green's influence over the past three weeks, that both Pearce and Kalyn Ponga are a much bigger threat playing alongside an organising five-eighth.
Maybe Mason Lino can fit the bill and to that end, the ball is firmly in his court, starting today in Tamworth.
Defensively, he has had his issues but if he manages to prove himself to O'Brien in that area between now and the end of the season, the search for someone else may be over.
Home sweet home
David Klemmer and his family have really fallen hard for Newcastle.
So much so that on the eve of his 150th NRL game again the Warriors in Tamworth today, the Kangaroos prop has told us his goal is to play out his career with the Knights and he has no plans to ever leave Newcastle.
The 26-year-old, who lives at Eleebana with his wife Chloe and three young sons Cooper 7, Jaxon 5, and David 3, still has three years left on his current deal but body and form permitting, he is looking to keep playing in the NRL until he is 33 or 34. And he wants that to be at the Knights.
"If I could finish my career here, it would be awesome," Klemmer said. "To see my family so settled here and loving life and my kids growing up so happy, we see this as our home now and us living here for the rest of our lives. This is us forever.
"Chloe and I have talked about it and whatever happens in footy, we are always going to come back here. We'd only go back to Sydney now if we had to for footy reasons.
"It's just a great place for our kids to grow up."
The Knights were aware Blake Green had already agreed to terms with a rival NRL club for 2021 when they signed him for the remainder of this season a month ago.
It's why they brushed off queries about trying to keep him longer term after he gelled so quickly with skipper Mitchell Pearce in the halves after debuting for the club against the Wests Tigers.
Kalyn Ponga looked visably shattered at fulltime against the Cowboys last Sunday despite the fact he had a huge influence on the Knights winning after throwing the final pass for both his side's tries.
We understand his struggles with his goal-kicking into the teeth of a second half gale left him feeling completely deflated.
Proctor not on wish-list
If there is one position on the roster for next season where the Knights look extremely well catered for, it's in the backrow.
The big inclusion for 2021 is obviously Kangaroos star Tyson Frizell and when you add him to the likes of Lachlan Fitzgibbon, Sione Mata'utia, Mitch Barnett if need be, Brodie Jones, who will almost certainly be retained, and young Jirah Momoisea, coach Adam O'Brien has a few to choose from.
Which is why suggestions this week the club is in talks with Titans skipper Kevin Proctor seemed to be wide of the mark. Turns out they are. There have been no discussions.
Seibold an option?
It may seem left field at this stage but with talk Knights assistant coach David Furner is being targeted by rival NRL clubs and is considering a return to Sydney next season for family reasons, what price embattled ex-Brisbane coach Anthony Seibold re-emerging as a possible replacement in Newcastle.
Clearly a lot of water has to pass under the bridge for it to happen with no-one at the club wanting Furner to depart.
But if he was to leave, Seibold could potentially become an option. He and head coach Adam O'Brien enjoy a strong relationship from their time together at the Melbourne Storm.
While you're with us, did you know the Newcastle Herald offers breaking news alerts, daily email newsletters and more? Keep up to date with all the local news - sign up here
IN THE NEWS:
- PODCAST: The day Steve Crowe went toe-to-toe with former Knights coach Mal Reilly
- NRL: Knights say resilience forged inTamworth ahead of clash with Warriors at Scully Park
- A-League: Jets officials reject inquiries about relocating Newcastle franchise
- Obituary: Tributes flow for champion Newcastle jockey Bill Wade
- Newcastle council sports plan dumps rugby union changes