WALLSEND MP Sonia Hornery says her phone has been“in meltdown” since Keolis Downer released its timetable for school buses on Wednesday.
“Parents ... are discovering that getting their children to school has become very difficult,” she said.
Ms Hornery said the overhaul of the city’s bus transport network had left some children unable to catch a bus directly to school.
She said she would take the matter up with NSW Transport Minister Andrew Constance.
“Students now face having to catch multiple buses or cross major roads unsupervised,” Ms Hornery said.
“I am calling on the Minister for Transport to intervene and ensure sanity prevails here.
“Some of these services need to be reinstated so students are not left stranded and unsupervised trying to get to school.”
Fairfax Media reported earlier this week that drivers were subject to abuse over the new routes, with reports of a brick thrown at a bus on King Street.
Keolis Downer has previously defended its new bus routes in the Hunter, arguing they will suit the bulk of customers.
Newcastle Herald reporter Michael Parris put the fledgling network to the test earlier this week.
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.