Kurri Kurri Hospital placed one of its wards into quarantine after the infectious condition scabies was passed on to a number of staff and a patient earlier this week.
Hunter New England Health’s Lower Hunter general manager Di Peers confirmed the hospital had placed one of its wards into isolation after it was found a patient had scabies.
The infection was passed on to one other patient and eight staff who work on the ward, with all now receiving treatment.
Ms Peers said strict infection prevention and control measures are in place and the ward has been thoroughly cleaned and decontaminated.
Clinical care at the hospital has not been affected and patients continue to receive care as normal.
Scabies is a contagious skin infestation caused by mites.
The most common symptoms are severe itchiness and a rash.
The Maitland Mercury
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.