A 2018-VINTAGE shiraz from a vineyard planted in 1946 by legendary winemaker Maurice O'Shea was the five-trophy star yesterday of the 2019 Hunter Valley Wine Show.
At the show presentation luncheon, the McWilliam's Mount Pleasant 2018 Rosehill Vineyard Shiraz received trophies for the best red of the show, the best named-vineyard wine, the best single-vineyard red, the best shiraz and the best one-year-old shiraz.
Before a crowd of 390 at the Oaks Cypress Lakes Resort at Pokolbin, 22 trophies were presented from an entry of 722 wines from 73 Hunter producers.
The judging panel this week spent three days sipping, savouring and spitting up to 130 wines a day at Singleton Army Camp. Chaired by Sarah Crowe, chief winemaker and general manager of Victoria's Yarra Yering winery, and including America's foremost expert on Australian and New Zealand wines, Chuck Hayward, the panel awarded 46 gold medals.
The McGuigan 2013 Bin 9000 Semillon added to its gold-plated show record by collecting the Hunter trophies for the best white wine, best semillon and best two-year-old and older semillon.
At the recent 2019 Sydney Wine Show the $50-a-bottle 2013 Bin 9000 won the trophies for the best mature white, best NSW wine and best semillon and at this year's 2019 Decanter magazine International Wine Challenge (IWC) it was judged the best semillon.
Other winners include:
- Tinklers 2018 Poppys Chardonnay (best chardonnay, best one-year-old chardonnay and best single-vineyard white)
- Tinklers 2019 School Block Semillon (best current-vintage semillon)
- Two Rivers 2018 Hidden Hive Verdelho (best verdelho)
- McGuigan 2018 Shortlist Semillon (best one-year-old dry semillon)
- Margan 2016 Botrytis Semillon (best sweet white wine)
- Tyrrell's 2007 Vat 9 Shiraz (John Lewis Newcastle Herald best museum red
- Tyrrell's 2007, 2014 and 2018 Old Patch Shiraz (Iain Riggs Wines of Provenance Trophy)
- Audrey Wilkinson 2010 The Ridge Semillon (best museum white)
- First Creek 2017 Winemaker's Reserve Chardonnay (best two-year-old and older chardonnay)
- De Iuliis LDR Vineyard Shiraz-Touriga (best other variety red)
- Mount Pleasant 2017 Maurice O'Shea Shiraz (best two-year-old shiraz.)
- Mount Pleasant 2018 Mount Henry Shiraz-Pinot Noir (Silver Bullet Trophy for international judge's top choice)
While you're with us, did you know Newcastle Herald offers breaking news alerts, daily email newsletters and more? Keep up to date with all the local news - sign up here.
IN NEWS TODAY: