Newcastle Show organisers have reached an agreement with the Showmens Guild after a dispute over money threatened to rob the event of its amusement rides.
The show committee was still locked in a bitter fight last week with the guild over the amount it charges ride operators to access the event.
Newcastle Agricultural Horticultural and Industrial Association wanted the guild to pay $90,000, up from $70,000 last year, but ride operators said this fee was too high given the number of people coming to the show.
The association dropped its demand to $85,000 last week and said it was exploring back-up plans if the show had no carnival rides.
Vice-president Daniel Wallace said last week that the association had received threatening calls during the negotiations, but guild president George Pink described this as "rubbish" and derided the show as "ordinary".
The two sides buried the hatchet on Friday and agreed on a fee of $75,000.
Mr Wallace said the show had acknowledged that an increase in free entertainment this year could affect ride operators' takings.
"We've accepted that more free entertainment could be something that could be a consideration ... but we're backing ourselves by lowering the rate for this year than what was expected, and we're hoping to prove ourselves that more people through the gate means it's good for everyone," he said.
Some of the new free activities include a pinata tree, sideways room, parkour, sausage making, Hot Wheels car show, oversize games, muscle-man displays, wall climbing and robotics, drone, 3D drafting and upcycling workshops.
Organisers have also locked in a two-year agreement with show-bag sellers which increases the number of free bags the show will provide to John Hunter Children's Hospital patients.
The new deal also makes an allowance for the costs involved with sellers shifting to biodegradable bags.
Guild trustee Lewis Osborne said he was pleased to have settled on a deal.
"We're back on track," he said. "It's all about what our members can afford.
"The show society threw a lot of airy-fairy figures at us which we couldn't deal with, because these are tough times with the fires. Shows are being cancelled left, right and centre."
He said ride operators "did our money cold" about every fourth year at Newcastle due to the weather but did not ask for their rent back.
Show organisers said after last year's event that gate takings had risen by 42 per cent.
Mr Osborne said the show appeared to be heading in the right direction after years of dwindling crowds and financial woes.
"It's building. It's not the show it was 15 years ago, of course. It was a massive, massive show back then, but these guys are doing a good job and they're trying their best to get it on target."
While you're with us, did you know the Newcastle Herald offers breaking news alerts, daily email newsletters and more? Keep up to date with all the local news - sign up here
IN NEWS TODAY
- Stockton erosion: Lexie's Cafe, 16 caravan park cabins shut as Cyclone Uesi approaches embattled beach
- International competitors heading to 2020 Mulletfest at the Chelmsford Hotel
- The demise of the Reserve Wine Bar: How the Hunter's premier wine bar failed
- Matildas to play final Olympics qualifier in Newcastle
- Newcastle's Georgia Productions nominated for a 2020 Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Award - here's how you can vote