Caitlan Johnston has ticked off just about every box during the past 12 months.
Having returned to the Indigenous All Stars game and continued with the Sydney Roosters sqaud at the NRL Nines earlier this year, she was simply continuing on from a whirlwind campaign that featured a NSW Women's Premiership title for CRL Newcastle, a debut appearance with the PM XIII in Papua New Guinea and being named 18th player for the Jillaroos.
However, following Thursday's announcement about a stand-alone women's State of Origin fixture being scheduled on November 13, the Belmont 19-year-old now has a firm goal in mind for 2020.
Johnston, a member of the inaugural NSW under-18 side last season, wants to earn her maiden Blues jersey in the senior ranks.
"I'm looking forward to it," Johnston told the Newcastle Herald.
"The NSW coach [Andrew Patmore] mentioned me in a story not too long ago, which was good to see ... but I'm just glad it's definitely going ahead this year.
"Playing 18s [last year] was awesome, but this [seniors] would be even better. Hopefully I get the call up."
Johnston said it was Roosters and now Central Coast teammate Hannah Southwell who passed on the Origin news.
Cameron Park-based Southwell, part of back-to-back triumphs with NSW in 2018 and 2019, says a hat-trick remained the goal but simply playing was the main victory.
"Hopefully [we can make it three in-a-row], that's the goal," Southwell said.
"But I'm just happy to be getting back on the field. It wasn't looking great there for a couple of months."
Former Wallsend resident, CRL Newcastle player and Dragons lock Holli Wheeler, who remains in doubt for the clash with Queensland as she recovers from recent ACL surgery, said it was "amazing" to see women's Origin alive in 2020.
"So stoked for everyone pushing for this," Wheeler, who is aiming to keep her place in the Australian squad for next year's World Cup squad, said.
Meanwhile, in terms of NRLW for 2020, interim NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo addressed the women's competition as the men's draw was announced on Thursday.
"The women's pathway and the women's competition remains a priority for us so it's really exciting that we're able to announce today a women's State of Origin game," Abdo said.
"Work continues with broadcasters, clubs and with the playing group over what a premiership season might look like this year. We're not in a position to announce anything at the moment but the women's game remains a priority for us."
The NSW Women's Premiership is set to return from July 18 with nine rounds added to the opening weekend already played in March.
Central Coast picked up players such as Johnston and Southwell from last year's champions CRL Newcastle, who didn't reform.
While you're with us, did you know the Newcastle Herald offers breaking news alerts, daily email newsletters and more? Keep up to date with all the local news - sign up here
IN THE NEWS:
- 26,000 Hunter jobs lost in two months as coronavirus hammers labour market
- 14 months after an abduction ended in one alleged kidnapper being stabbed to death, detectives charge a third man
- Free guide to Hunter businesses open during the COVID-19 crisis
- Man charged at Muswellbrook following major manhunt
- Knights to feature in nine Sunday games this season
- Six University of Newcastle researchers to share $10m in grants