Newcastle council has finalised a $2 million streetscape upgrade in Merewether, a project completed as part of its local centres program.
The Llewellyn and Dent street works included new street furniture, landscaping, raised pedestrian crossings and footpaths. Lord mayor Nuatali Nelmes said the project had addressed accessibility and flooding issues.
"This upgrade has completely revitalised this precinct and the improvements will benefit both the businesses and the community now and long into the future. A highlight is the upgraded space at Dent Street which features new street furniture and an open space for locals and visitors to gather and enjoy a bite to eat," she said.
The Merewether project's official opening on Tuesday followed a ribbon-cutting ceremony last week at Kotara's Joslin Street, where a similar $2.4 million upgrade had been completed.
IN THE NEWS:
- Scone TAFE sold to Racing NSW for $4 million
- 'Distinct clusters': Brisbane COVID tally rises
- Man's body found on beach at Hawks Nest
- Maitland man pleads guilty to fraud: accountant stole from $1m loan
- Hunter Drug Court celebrates a decade of making a difference in fight against drugs
- Tough break as Jets skipper sidelined for four weeks