FIVE companies have been invited by the state government to tender for the main construction contract for the Newcastle light rail.
The companies are:
- CPB Contractors Pty Ltd
- Downer EDI Works Pty Ltd
- John Holland Pty Ltd
- Laing O’Rourke Australia Construction Pty Limited, and
- McConnell Dowell Constructors (Aust) Pty Ltd.
The short-list announcement comes only hours after Newcastle City Council sent a shot across the government’s bows by resolving on Tuesday night to push for “mixed running” on Hunter Street.
Should the government persist with its determination to have “separated running” on Hunter Street, the council ‘s position would be that the entire operation should be shifted back to the heavy rail corridor.
Transport and Infrastructure Minister Andrew Constance said the short-list of potential “managing contractors” was the latest milestone in revitalising the city.
Mr Constance said qualified organisations had been asked earlier this year to register their interest for the Fixed Infrastructure Contract (also known as Managing Contractor) for the light rail project.
“After an enthusiastic response from industry, I am pleased to confirm the five organisations invited to tender,” Mr Constance said.
“We understand that the people of Newcastle want us to get on with delivering light rail in Newcastle and that’s exactly what we are doing.”
Mr Constance said the respondents all have either previous experience or are currently completing light rail construction projects.
“The NSW Government is committed to delivering a world-class light rail system in Newcastle and the five organisations selected have the right experience and expertise to help us do so,” Mr Constance said.
“Their interest is an endorsement of our plans to revitalise Newcastle and shows the private sector understands our commitment to progressing this important project.”
Mr Constance said the short-listed firms would submit their bids and the government would assess their responses and decide on the successful tenderer later this year.
He said the government’s Review of Environmental Factors was on display for public comment on May 19.
Read more about this in Thursday’s Newcastle Herald.