A man will face court after allegedly lighting a fire in Hunter bushland during a total fire ban.
The case was among three in recent days where police allegedly caught people flouting the ban across the state.
Emergency crews were called to scrubland at Tarro, near the New England Highway and John Renshaw Drive, about 8.30am on Sunday.
Officers were told that a man and woman had been trying to cook food in the area.
Fire and Rescue NSW and NSW Rural Fire Service crews extinguished the blaze and police issued a 38-year-old man with a court attendance notice.
He will face Maitland local court on January 22 accused of failing to comply with a total fire ban and setting fire to land during a total fire ban.
It came after a 63-year-old man allegedly lit a fire in a pit for the purposes of cooking in a backyard at Cooma, in the Snowy Mountains region, during Saturday's dangerous bushfire conditions.
In the third incident, a 44-year-old man was issued a court attendance notice after several small fires were lit on his rural property at Countegany - about 150km south of Queanbeyan.
Police said the fires were allegedly lit to clear land, but the man did not have a permit to burn during a total fire ban.
While you're with us, did you know the Newcastle Herald offers breaking news alerts, daily email newsletters and more? Keep up to date with all the local news - sign up here
Some links you can add to your story:
IN NEWS TODAY