HUNDREDS of spectators packed the footpaths at Merewether on Saturday to watch local surfers take on the big swell.
With a deep and complex low-pressure system moving up the coast, the swell topped four metres along the Hunter's coast.
The conditions drew a hardy group of surfers and a huge crowd packed the paths from Dixon Park to Surfhouse to watch the action.
An even bigger swell is forecast for Sunday.
IN THE NEWS:
- Toohey's News, The Podcast Episode 11: Alex McKinnon
- Council to use building sales to fund Newcastle Ocean Baths upgrade
- NSW eases virus rules to 50-person limit
- Northern NSW Football to return to training from May 27 with new coronavirus guidelines
- Australian coal facing China restrictions
- Hunter Water submits revised plans to increase the capacity of Belmont desalination plant to 30 million litres a day