Detectives investigating an armed robbery at a Warners Bay hotel which they believe was "specifically targeted" have released CCTV footage in a bid to catch the offenders.
Two men armed with firearms entered the storage area of Warners at the Bay on Hillsborough Road just after 3am on June 28 and threatened a male staff member.
Police said the men forced the employee to the ground, stole his phone and wallet, as well as cash from the premises, before fleeing.
Thankfully, the employee was not physically injured during the incident.
Lake Macquarie police were contacted and with assistance from the Dog Unit, conducted an extensive search of the area; but the men were not found.
Initial inquiries were conducted by local police, before detectives from the State Crime Command's Robbery and Serious Crime Squad took carriage of the investigation under Strike Force Milleara.
Strike Force Milleara detectives conducted a secondary canvass of the licensed premises and surrounding areas earlier this month.
A section of North Creek was also searched with assistance from Marine Area Command police divers.
As inquiries continue, police are appealing to the public for help and have released CCTV of two men who may be able to assist with inquiries.
The men depicted in the footage are described as being about 170cm with a slim to medium build.
Both men are depicted wearing black pants, black jumpers and black face coverings. One of the men is seen carrying a black and white sports bag.
Robbery and Serious Crime Squad commander Detective Acting Superintendent Grant Taylor, said investigators were urging the community to look closely at the CCTV images to help officers identify the men.
"Police believe this premises was specifically targeted by those involved, as there appears to have been a level of planning and familiarity with the area and surrounding streets," Acting Superintendent Taylor said.
"Investigators have made a number of inquiries to establish the movements of these individuals prior to the offence and immediately after and are calling on the community to assist.
"This offence is extremely serious and frightening, and we would urge anyone with information, or who may recognise the men in these images, to come forward."
Investigations are continuing.
While you're with us, did you know the Newcastle Herald offers breaking news alerts, daily email newsletters and more? Keep up to date with all the local news - sign up here
IN OTHER NEWS
- Officers injured after cop car rammed twice at Windale
- Newcastle Golf Club members approve seniors village redevelopment
- Newcastle's 'best' penthouse that could be yours for over $7m
- MP lashes Newcastle builder for leaving Hunter families with 'defect-riddled' homes
- Shortland MP says Fitzgibbon's climate change position would leave Labor in 'permanent opposition'