University of Newcastle Professor of Local Government Roberta Ryan has been appointed as Independent Community Commissioner for the Western Sydney Aerotropolis.
Professor Ryan's expertise in integrating multi-disciplinary approaches to deliver successful land use planning solutions within government, the built and natural environments, and the community is widely recognised across Australia.
She will be an independent source of information and address landowners' concerns about the impact of the land use changes in the Western Sydney Aerotropolis.
"I look forward to providing prompt advice to the NSW Government about how we can best support current landowners throughout this process," Professor Ryan said.
Professor Ryan's role will involve:
- Addressing landowners' concerns and what drives those concerns;
- Providing access to independent expert advice, such as planning, valuation and development processes;
- Advising on actions to assist people on environmentally constrained land and those who need support on compassionate grounds;
- Making recommendations regarding strategic land acquisitions that may also address community concerns; and
- Connecting landholders with other agencies and relevant government stakeholders to provide clarity and support where necessary.
The framework for the Commissioner's engagement with landholders, councils and other stakeholders is currently being developed.